Assignment 4: Code a Wikipedia article with HTML
This is just like the the constitution assignment. Choose your favorite band, celebrity, musician, historical event, invention, animal … you get the idea. Just choose something that is at least as long as the U.S. Constitution.
- Use the “contents” area of the wikipedia article to help you decide how to break up the content into multiple HTML files which you will then link together.
- make sure your navigation is on every page
- Use the “contents” area of the wikipedia article to help define your HTML heading tags (<h1>, <h2>, etc.). For example, the top level numbers (like a “2″) could be a <h1> element; then 2.1 could be a <h2> element, 2.1.1 could be a <h3> and so on.
- copy & paste text from the article into your HTML editor and clean up as you see fit:
- Don’t worry about hyperlinks with the paragraphs … unless you want to, it would be great practice.
- I won’t make you remove all the little footnote links, example , , but again, this is your project … search and replace can make things a lot easier
- Including images would be great.
- you DON’T have to do the full length (unless you want) to. Stop when you’ve had enough. I find that the “Notes,” “Cited texts,” and “External links” don’t have much value anyway.
I know the specs on this are a bit loose on this, but you can take this assignment as far as you want to go. If you are going for an “A” or are seriously considering this as a career, you should want to be very detail oriented and take pride in your work. Using search and replace can be very helpful … experiment. We will eventually use the constitution assignment and/or this assignment to practice CSS, so these could end up being pretty cool and you could have fun with it.
Please let me know of any questions!